Wednesday, 15 April 2009

The Ho Ho Fish Bar and Ikea


Here in the U.K. they use the phrase "bits and bobs" as we would use the phrase "odds and ends." So here is a post of current bits and bobs in our life:

  • Above and below are photos of John with his new Ikea chairs and table. Emily and I braved the crowds and hit Ikea in London last weekend. I think Ikea has a bad rap in that people (myself included) really dislike putting together furniture. However, I do have to say that I find a great deal of satisfaction in working with my hands. There is something very cool about putting something together... making something from nothing. I think this is why I enjoy cooking so much. There is no way I would enjoy eating three cups of flour and two tsps of baking soda. But when I combine them with other ingredients I come out with some great pumpkin bread. Kind of like Ikea, if you get my drift.

  • So England has a lot going for it but convienent places to eat is not one of them. Oh how I wish we had a Panera Bread close by, a Moe's, Arby's... anything! There isn't even a drive-thru of any sort near by. A few days ago I was really not wanting to cook and I was pondering the nearest take-a-way eating establishment and I came upon the Ho Ho Fish Bar. That's right folks, our closest take-a-way place is the local fish-n-chips shop called the Ho Ho Fish Bar. And in case you don't want fish and chips, you can get fried Spam (no joke)! You can smell the oil down the strip mall where the shop is located. Dave and I have not ventured to this fine establishment, nor do we intend to. I will just sit here and complain, then resort to more pasta or a peanut butter and honey sandwich.

  • I like to write with bullet points. It makes me feel that there is some selmblance of organization to my life.
Cheers!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

love the table and chairs you got for john..he looks so cute sitting at the table... we will have to go to moe's and panera when you come back east....

Unknown said...

Great job with the tables and chairs! Maybe you missed your calling as a carpenter ;)
John is so cute and looks precious reading his book. I've found that fast food take away is definitely more of a US thing. While we do have them here in Canada, they're not on every corner and we only have a very limited selection. From my house I'd have to drive about 15 minutes to find one, whereas in the US I could walk about 2 minutes and find one! Living healthy is the pits, isn't it?
Cheers!

Soraya said...

Get fish and chips, you do not know what you're missing! Serve with white Mothers Pride spread with butter, plenty of salt and malt vinegar and tomato ketchup. And a big mug of strong tea...mmmmmm. SPAM: stands for Special Amercan Processed Meat...so its not our fault ;-) avoid avoid avoid...step away from the SPAM.