Thursday, 24 April 2008

4 Months Old and CIO Bootcamp Begins

Here he is at 4 months old! Check out our blog archives to see pictures of him next to the hippo at 3, 2, and 1 months of age. We feel like he has gotten pretty big in the last few months. His eyes are changing color to hazel, and he loves to suck his fists!

We are really enjoying him but he is not sleeping well at night. I think last night we probably went in his room 6 times to reinsert the pacifier. So tonight Dave and I have committed to CIO (cry it out) bootcamp. We will set up the fans for some white noise and just let him CIO. Our friend the babywise mom (see the link to the left) estimates that CIO bootcamp can take anywhere from 3 days to two weeks. Please pray that ours is closer to the three day time frame! We would love to be able to sleep for more than one hour straight at night. Dave has graciously taken a few days off work while I have my Masters class (so I can study during the day...isn't he great?) so we figure that while he isn't at work this is a good time to try it. Does anyone have any encouragement with CIO? Leave it in our comments section, please.

Also, tomorrow (April 25) is my dad's birthday. Happy Birthday Dad/Grandpa!

4 comments:

Kristin said...

Kate, we are right there with you about letting him CIO this weekend. We can share stories! I know that in the past it took about 3 days for my other boys.

Amanda said...

Hey Kate! Ok, so it's really hard to do, but SO worth it! And it totally depends on the temperament of the kid, so don't give up if it seems longer than 'by the book'. With Jackson it took closer to the 2 week mark, with Morgan it was a very painless 3 days (first night 1 hour, 2nd night 15 min, 3rd night 5 min). My suggestion would be that you and Dave decide what you plan to do when he is crying at night. For Gavin and I, since we lived in a 1-bedroom flat in Sk and we couldn't get away from the crying (so no sleeping through it for us), we decided that instead of getting frustrated at Jackson and each other, we would get up and watch the next episode or two of 24 (the tv show) that we were addicted to at the time. Yes, there was crying in the background, but it resolved a lot of potential nighttime conflict and frustration from being awake in the middle of the night for the umpteenth time in a row. I look forward to seeing how it goes for you guys!

deonna janone said...

I have limited experience...but ours was closer to the 3-5 day mark, and don't compare during this time - that's like the death knell to the peace that passes understanding. :)

What a fit little man he soon will be!

love,
Deonna

Abigail said...

You can do it! I can't speak from experience but all my friends with babies say it just takes a few nights and that it is soooo worth it. I am sure this is just the beginning of the tough love that sometimes has to be used when parenting. Its hard for parents and children at the time but definitely helps all of them have a better future. Remember that God shows us tough love too and makes us cry it out.